Sunday, October 9, 2011

Tour

Tour has kicked off! So far for the most part has been extremely positive. What isn't so positive, I need to learn to go with the flow better. It's always been a problem of mine. I like doing things my way on my time, so when that isn't possible i get aggravated. However, it is frustrating when I can't even try it my way. But that's that.

Children's Theatre has proven to be a lot trickier than I had thought it would be. For one, everything I learned in school is just immediately thrown out the window. Forget making things make sense for yourself. Moving with a purpose? Pshaw. You're basically moving and crossing and any other type of blocking movement just to keep moving, because kids don't like seeing people stand around and talk. They like movement. What's that hard work that I spent forever on in order to make sure I don't keep speaking in any sort of speech pattern? Forget it.

Go big or go home. Is basically the name of the game.

I don't know how to talk about this next part without sounding like a giant pretentious ass hole, but I did a children's show in the summer so I got the crash course then. I also worked with people who had done several children's shows before so I was able to really learn how they do it. We had a few times in rehearsal where Kyle our director would remind us we're being too actory. Which, you can't. You just simply can't. You feel silly but once you get past that wall of "oh my god, I look like an idiot" and just commit to it, that's when it starts to pay off.

Barb (choreographer) and Kyle (director) would always tell us those things and right now I'm still not sure we're at the level yet. Each show I personally try to add something different, maybe in an applause moment I just add a silly line or whatnot.

Children's theatre is tricky it is.

But. It really is a wonderful feeling to perform for an audience that 100 percent loves everything you do. They are no critics. They will not tell you you're character was not fully developed, or that you sang off key. They either love you or they don't. And they won't love you if you half ass it or take it too seriously.

So far we've performed for 2000+ little kids and also have been able to teach them a little theatre etiquette as well.

After one of the public performances we had a little autograph session and some of the kids told us how they saw the show once and they had to come back. Or how this was their first play they've ever seen before. We also took a couple pictures with some. It was all fun and cute. It's neat that we made their day.

1 comment:

  1. When you feel like you're not getting a chance to express yourself as an artist enough on these kid shows, remember, that you could be sparking the love of art in countless others. Where would we be if someone had not done it for us?

    The work you are doing is no child's play. A lot of these kids growing up in small-town KS (myself included) don't know that there is a life beyond farms and football. You are a beacon of light for those who don't fit in! Every time you make yourself look like an idiot, a kid feels less like one. Keep up the good work, Dyllie!

    ReplyDelete